2 Nov 2008

"There's a great crowd of tourists and they're coming down the street
Pleased as punch with brand new Doctor Marten's on their feet,
Past stalls with leather jackets, old bric-a-brac
Indian sunglasses or a Chinese bobble hat"
You know despite my walking at least five miles around London the other day I can see myself putting on a few pounds what with my addiction to both mint humbugs and my latest PS3 acquisitions of Bad Company and Brothers in Arms:Hell's Highway. As the headline would suggest I went and bought some DM's in Camden town from what used to be A.H. Holts (of Madness video fame). The British Boot Company (link) They are getting their own back the boots are because I have yet to break them in. I wish I'd soaked them in polish for a while first but I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age? I mean I haven't even bulled the toe caps yet as I used to. It was nice to get away from work for a bit (three weeks) but it has made it a bit of a grind to get back into the swing of things. I am in demand though as my old company rung me up to offer me a position but I had to turn it down as it was less hours and only temporary. Still, nice to be wanted and it just shows that I must have been a fairly half decent employee afterall. The more astute of you may have noticed the new blog layout, (please vote to let me know if you like it or not), this was totally by accident start with as I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and pressed a different button, but it turned out well I think. Perhaps the brighter looking blog reflects my brighter looking outlook? Who can tell? Whilst in London I had to go to the Imperial War Museum, mind you I could have gone anywhere really just to stop myself spending money but it was the closest place that was free to get in and would hold my attention for the three hours required. Although it didn't stop me spending money for long though as I am the proud owner of four more Osprey military history reference books. I had to physically drag myself away from the dvd section (which is quite hard to do) before I bought anything else... luckily they have an online shop. Work has been kind of hard to get back into as I said but it'll be back to being just plain old bored as soon as is feasibly possible. In the mean time here's some music for you. I recently watched the 'Ashes to ashes' series on my PS3 after I downloaded them all out of curiosity. I must say I've enjoyed it more than 'Life on Mars' possibly because of the music is better, possibly because I'm more of an eighties man than a seventies man (Drakkor Noir rather than Hai Karate), Possibly because I like the Audi Quattro even more than I did the Ford Cortina but more than likely it's to do with Keeley Hawes who... excuse me a moment.... Mmmmmmm Keeley Hawes, sorry about that, who is a fine actress. Anyway here's the music from the series. Sony BMG only put out the 25 track CD so I went and found the rest of them from the series (full list in comments) I even paid for some of them on iTunes, in the words of Charles Brown "Good grief!" Also I've uploaded Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine Straw Donkeys (The Best Of). Followed by The John Peel Show from 1986 with the Housemartins in session although they were billed as the 'Fish City Five' As soon as I find the tracks as individuals I'll post those too.
The
Fish
City
Five
On Peel (New Link 08/11/08)

Ashes
To
Ashes

Carter
Enjoy & let me know if you like the new layout. Right, Im off to drown out the sounds of explosions from Guy Fawkes' night by playing Brothers in Arms:Hell's Highway on the PS3. :)

7 comments:

Mike said...

Vienna - Ultravox

Careless Memories - Duran Duran

Are Friends Electric- Tubeway Army

Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie

I'm In Love With A German Film Star - The Passions

I Fought The Law - The Clash

No More Heroes - The Stranglers

Same Old Scene- Roxy Music

The Swords of a Thousand Men - Tenpole Tudor

The Prince - Madness

Body Talk - Imagination

Money - The Flying Lizards

Fade to Grey - Visage

Souvenir- OMD

Geno - Dexy's Midnight Runners

(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thing - Heaven 17

I Hear You Now - Vangelis

Show Me -Dexy's Midnight Runners

Gercha - Chas and Dave

Staring At The Rude Boys - The Ruts

It's Different For Girls - Joe Jackson

Let's Stick Together - Roxy Music

Over You - Roxy Music

Making Your Mind Up - Bucks Fizz

Ay Ay Ay Moosey - Modern Romance

Planet Earth - Duran Duran

Happy Birthday - Altered Images

Buzzcocks - Autonomy

Door Of Your Heart - The Beat

To Cut A Long Story Short - Spandau Ballet

Green Door - Shakin' Stevens

Girls On Film - Duran Duran

Enola Gay - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

London Calling - The Clash

Love Action - Human League

Reward - The Teardrop Explodes

Police and Thieves - The Clash

One Step Beyond - Madness

I Travel - Simple Minds

Sgt. Rock - XTC

Turn To Red - Killing Joke

I Feel love - Donna Summer

Love Magic - John Davis

Don't You Want Me - Human League

I lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper - Sarah Brightman

Where Did Our Love Go - Soft Cell

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Into The Valley - The Skids

Same Old Scene - Roxy Music

Mirror In The Bathroom - The Beat

Chant No. 1 - Spandau Ballet

Kids In America - Kim Wilde

Vienna - Ultravox

Golden Brown - The Stranglers

Ghosts - Japan

Police On My Back - The Clash

The Man With The Child In His Eyes - Kate Bush

The Beat - Whine & Grine

One Day In Your Life - Michael Jackson

Fame - David Bowie

The Selector - Too Much Pressure

Re-united - Peaches & Herb

Dancing In The City - Marshall Hain.

2-4-6-8 Motorway - Tom Robinson

Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie

Take The Long Way Home - Supertramp

Pingu said...

Part 5 of the Housemartins (Fish City Five) seems to be broken - tried twice.

Mike said...

OK I'll repost tomorrow.

2015 said...

got used to the previous layout. all the coloured text and stuff. this one looks more "neutral" :)

Mike said...

I think the word you are looking for is 'boring' ;) Maybe it's my age?

El said...

I remember that "Fish City Five" session! The accapella version of Happy Hour is very sweet indeed.

Anonymous said...

Finally! I figured out how you arranged the 5 parts of the Fish City 5! Dope!!!