14 Nov 2007

"Backwards and then forwards, forwards and then backwards Eezer is the geezer who loves to muscle in That's about the time the crowd all shout the name of Eezer As he's kotcheled in the corner, laughing by the bass bin."
I have just finished reading Robert Mason's book 'Chickenhawk' about the Vietnam war. It's very good if you've never read it you should. It's not Gung Ho in anyway whatsoever and is quite a compelling read. There are moments of sadness as he describes the scenes of US forces loading his chopper with bodyparts of thier friends and colleagues and moments of hilarity. It's real insight into the life in Vietnam and not just all about battles and how great the author was. It reads just like he was a man who joined the Army to fly and put up with the war even though he freely admits he was shit scared. As a result of reading this though I have begun to read my huge two volume Nam that I bought from Ebay having had it years ago but lost it in one or two moves down the line. I've also downloaded several large documentary files from the interweb about the whole war. All in all it's left me with a desire to overfly parts of Bournemouth in a Bell UH-1 whilst emptying a rail gun into the throng of people who annoy me. These being (mainly) rude customers, impolite customers, my unprofessional and childish co workers and people who promise things and never deliver. The list does go on but I can't remember who else annoys me at the moment.... oh yeah Big Issue sellers who come into the shop and steal our products, my managers, my managers again, the list does go on but I can't remember who else annoys me at the moment.... My bank manager, Simon Cowell, all the people who've decided to be 'washing thier hair' rather than go out with me, people who say they'll stay in touch and then don't. The list does go on but I can't remember who else annoys me at the moment.... Just about any T.V executive, Nicolas Cage, Tom Cruise and anyone else billed as 'a great actor' but plainly isn't, Lisa Riley, any contestant on Pap Idle, I'm a Shlebrity get me a new career or Dancing on ice type shows. The list does go on but I can't remember who else annoys me at the moment.... Anyone who brings dogs into shops and thinks that you are worse than Hitler stabbing a kitten when you tell them that they aren't allowed dogs in store unless they are carried, Chris Moyles... in fact any Radio One DJ apart from Steve Lamacq, Jo Whiley and the pretty Scottish one who does the ads for Comet with the nice knockers whose name escapes me at the moment, God (he just pisses me right off). The list does go on but I can't remember who else annoys me at the moment.... People who don't wear coats even though it's 1 degree outside, people who don't cover thier mouths when coughing, people who eat noisily, people who are employed in positions over me but clearly have no leadership qualities, the man who invented ebay for giving me a way to buy crap I don't really need but think "ooh a 1983 copy of Smash hits" and I bid on it. The list does go on but I can't remember who else annoys me at the moment.... People who'd rather have a relationship with a testosterone fuelled monkey rather than a kind and considerate person (mentioning no me's here, but...), people who can't hold a conversation without expletives in them and are annoyed when I ask them to be considerate around the old lady stood behind them. The list does go on but I can't remember who else annoys me at the moment.... The man who invented Pot Noodle (invent real food you gimp), Sasha Baron Cohen, local radio DJ's, Jar Jar Binks and many many more.... but I'm spent.... for now. What really annoyed me this weekend though (apart from the fact that I'd have to go back the coldest shop in Bournemouth) was that I watched Long Way Down with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman who depsite not being in a shitty job with having to sit at a freezing bus stop at 7 in the morning to go to an underpaid job that they hate, spent most of the hour moaning that they had to endure hardships and hadn't stopped long in the places they visited in Africa. As you could probably guess my heart went out to them. Anyway enough bile and vitriol here's the latest of my vinyl rips. Plus Mothership from Led Zeppelin. And An old Ska album what I found and ripped for your listening pleasure. Oh and please if you are going to post my uploads could you please at least say you got it from here and not pass it off as your own or at the very least do it on forums that I'm not a member of. Ta everso. As always the track listings will be in the comments.

Mutha 1
Mutha 2
More Vinyl ...Damn You Ebay!!!!!!!!
Ska

4 comments:

Mike said...

Damn You eBay!!!1

Cookie Crew - Got To Keep On (12 Inch Version)
Cookie Crew - Got To Keep On (B-Boy Mix)
Eric B & Rakim - I Know You Got Soul (Double Trouble

Remix)
M.A.R.R.S. - Pump Up The Volume (12 Inch Version)
S'Express - Superfly Guy (12 Inch Version)
S'Express - Theme From S'Express (12 Inch Version)
Steinski & The Mass Media - We'll Be Right Back
The 45 King - The 900 Number
The Shamen - Ebeneezer Goode (Club Vocal Mix)
UB40 - Love Is All Is All Right (12 Inch Version)

The History Of Ska Vol 1

Don Drummond - Don Cosmic
Lord Creator - Golden Love
Don Drummond - Jet Stream
Andy & Joey - You're Wondering Now
Roland Alphonso - If I Were A Bell
Clancy Eccles - GLory Hallelujah
Doreen & Jackie - The Vow
Blues Blasters - Beeston Street
Delroy Wilson - Can't You See
The Skatalites - You're So Delightful
Dorren & Jackie - Welcome You Back Home
The Wailers - Love & Affection

b said...

Thanks for the History of Ska! Listening to it right now. I-ahem- didn't know that "You're Wondering Now" was a song before the Specials did it. I gotta get on top of these things. . .

And thanks for the "Chickenhawk" recommendation. It sounds like Mason doesn't have a political agenda, which I'd appreciate especially since I'm at the moment making my way through Marilyn Young's 'The Vietnam Wars', which I hesitate to recommend because it is so biased, which in an essay is one thing but in a overview history can be crippling, as it is in Young's book ("At Hue, the PAVN forces executed 2000 people, but that's okay, because it wasn't the 5000 people the US claims were killed! Whoppee!" And then we never hear about it again.)

"People who don't wear coats even though it's 1 degree outside"-- yes! douchebags.

BerT said...

Wouldn't mind a rip of the b-side of the 45 King's 900 Number, if it pleases you!

Mike said...

That wouldn't be a problem, in fact I may do all the b sides to the vinyl. Well it's pissing down outside with gale force winds to boot.