26 May 2006

R.I.P Desmond Dekker (1942 - 2006) , Reggae Giant

In advance of my post later on I thought I'd put up this tribute to the great star. The first person on the lips of most when the think of Early reggae, especially Skinhead Reggae. From his UK debut in 1967 '007 (Shanty Town)', through tracks like 'Get Up Edina ' and 'It Mek' he had an energy that stayed with him up to the present day where he would still pack 'em in the venues. I was born the week 'Israelites' was the first Reggae number one here in the UK and I think it infected me ever since. I only saw him once live at the last Madstock gig supporting Madness in Finsbury Park, but I can tell you after it had pissed down with rain and we were all wet and steamy he brought out the sunshine in everyone and the sky including the Forty something Skinheads down the front who only seemed to be there to give catatonia and Space a hard time. Shamefully having no Desmond Dekker cds on my shelf only shedloads of mp3s on disks scattered around my desk I rushed out and bought this compilation to share in tribute.


Enjoy the music remember the man.

http://rapidshare.de/files/21429636/DD.rar.html greatest hits
http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20060526_dekker.shtml For the full story

1 comment:

Zero G Sound said...

Sad news and still great music!