21 Feb 2006

"I'll be fine, if you give me a minute, a man's got a limit
I can't get a life if my heart's not in it"


Tonight's post will be sans my usual rant about my work as I really don't give one at the moment due to the light at the end of the tunnel in July, although I do have plenty of spleen to vent as we speak. But as I said it shall remain an unvented spleen. But rest assured after the beans I ate tonight at least one part of my body is definitely being vented. Open all windows and strike no matches.


The Beat (here at last you patient people) are one of my favouritest bands ever. They bring back many happy memories of wearing the vinyl down and having to buy new copies or of travelling to Norwich and back playing them over the stereo in one of Gavin's succession of lousy (and possibly unroadworthy) cars. There was the Skoda Estelle with the wheels out of alignment in which we were overtaken by a Honda Melody moped as we couldn't do over 35 or the wheels wobbled. Or there was the mini clubman estate where if you got the sliding windows open you couldn't get them shut again due to the insulation at the bottom of the window was mouldy. Also the Peugeot 104 which had holes in the top of both wings which when wet would spray jets of water upwards and over the roof or when dry would issue a loud and shrill whistle which meant we just had to turn the music up. At least it wasn't Simon's Ford Fiesta which despite running on two and a half cylinders out of four and only being a 1.1 litre still managed to get up 110 mph along the RAF Coltishall road. Happy memories, dangerous and possibly life threatening but happy nonetheless.

Incidentally The Beat helped me achieve my most active political demonstration to date. When in 1987 the Conservative Party(BOO HISS etc See picture below for mrs Thatcher) drew up outside my house in thier 'Battle bus' which with me being of sound mind and equally unsound body a lifelong leftie immediately raised my heckles. As of this point I'd yet to discover Billy Bragg's 'The Power Of A Union' so I got out my beat singles placed my 100 watt speakers on the canopy over the front door turned them up to eleven spinal tap stylee and blasted out 'Stand Down Margaret' until they pissed off. Funny how they never came canvassing, now whether it was because of me or because they'd finished their pub lunches I wouldn't like to speculate but I bet Tony Blair wouldn't have done anything as annoying as that, 'New' Labour my arse, grow some balls you Tory lite dickhead and get your head out of Bush's arse.

Anyway let's move on before I dust off my CND and Red Wedge badges and start singing 'The Internationale' with my clenched fist in the air. Elastica... and don't worry by the time they came out my political ire was well and truly dead as we were lead by the grey man John Major (the only man in the world so boring he'd run away from the circus to become an accountant then and the Tories had become the thing of ridicule they remain to this day. But I was too busy getting drunk with my fellow skinnyheads at ska gigs and coming back to my bedsit to be a closet 'Britpop' fan (The only way I'm a closet anything) I think it was my most eagerly awaited albums of that period certainly more than Blur or Oasis. I always thought that they should've been bigger than they were and as I was a randy 20 something (rather than the randy 30 something I am now) thoughts of Justine Frischmann would keep me warmer than the asthmatic heater on my wall would. Second only to my lust for Sonya from Echobelly....and Miki from Lush...and Donna from elastica....and Cerys from Catatonia...and especially Louise from Sleeper....I need a cold shower....

One cold shower and a beating with a Radio Times later. The Jam where a band I loved from the first time I saw them on a daytime tv show back in the seventies. Don't know what the show was but I remember my mum saying that they were "boys you could take home to meet your mum". I liked the music and I guess Paul Weller got my mum moist, not a nice thought to end this ramble on but there you go it had to end somewhere.

Also if anyone has the 12" remixes album that came with the album 'What is Beat?' can they post it? ta.

http://rapidshare.de/files/13821012/E_TROS.rar.html elastica radio one sessions

http://rapidshare.de/files/13825214/TB_SBS.rar.html the beat special beat service

http://www.uploading.com/?get=S64WBH7I The jam beat surrender

http://rapidshare.de/files/13829112/TB_W.rar.html the beat wha'ppen?

http://rapidshare.de/files/13829139/snapdesktop.rar.html My homemade Jam Snap desktops enjoy

5 comments:

p said...

thanks for the elastica sessions - yummy!!!

nice to catch up with the beat again too.

ps - never realised how much the new german chancellor looks like thatcher:

http://tinyurl.com/rxqpz

TheUpsetter1969 said...

That is a very scary couple of photos :)

p said...

worst thing is - I chose the 'best' ones....
:)

s said...

Thanks so much for uploading the Beat record!

TheUpsetter1969 said...

:)